Reviewing: 'Avengers Infinity War' (Spoiler Free)

05:17


Directed by Joe and Anthony Russo
Starring: Everyone.

Ten years ago Marvel introduced us to the MCU with Iron Man. Now, two Avengers films later with a dozen new characters introduced along the way comes Avengers Infinity War, the film that everyone has been waiting for for these ten years. Well, six really, if we're counting the acknowledgment that Thanos was first introduced and we knew he was coming in 2012's Avengers, but anyway that doesn't matter. In this one, the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy come together when they learn that the mad titan Thanos (Josh Brolin) is collecting the infinity stones we've seen in other films for his infinity gauntlet, which will allow him to level the entire universe. With Earth's mightiest heroes unaware of the sheer scale of disaster Thanos could inflict, their only option is to all come together to do what they can, to defend one another and their very state of existence. Now I wasn't planning on getting too hyped for this film, a decision I well made for The Last Jedi. But is this film good? Did I go in being my usual critical self? Yes? No? Maybe? Urm, yeah I liked it. It's pretty good.


So where to start with this one? Well at a two hour, forty minute runtime with over... god knows how many characters, the film does a great job at giving all of them the screen time they deserve. I mean, there are some more than other who seem to get quite a bit more than the rest, but the ones who do get little at least still have something to do and have a good presence. One of my biggest worries were if it would be an issue having all of these characters in there, but it works fine and the Russo's did a great job with that. And speaking of characters, the banter between new arrivals and old friends is great. A lot of the chemistry is fantastic, taking you back to the first Iron Man and Thor met in the first Avengers for example. It's very ambitious and the writing that sets up many of the new relationships, in particular the Guardians with other characters they haven't met before. The stand outs for me were Thor and the Guardians, Thor in particular who after Thor Ragnarok and this one is now favourite character in the MCU. See the film, you'll get why. Now, the big bad of this film, Thanos, is better than most of the MCU villains we've seen but at the same time I can't help feeling something is missing from him. Brolin does a great job but at the same time I can't help feeling that his motivations are pretty weak and tough for myself to really get connected too. The build up to this character six years ago didn't really do anything for me and I feel like the Russo's want us to already be invested in this character from the get-go but it takes time and it needs to be earned. Long story short, Thanos isn't the best of the Marvel villains bunch. 


I have to admit that the humour is a little hit and miss, but I think that was due to the screening I had. The audience seemed to laugh madly at jokes that just seemed... lazy. Whereas the very clever ones seemed to go past many of their heads. The Guardians have the best jokes as per, and when you're with them you'll be in hysterics for sure. As I say, the best banter and jokes come from new and old characters meeting for the first time. If you're looking for anything great technically from this film, I have to say it's the same kind of Marvel film you'll see anywhere. There's nothing that interesting from the direction, action can get a little throwing from time to time, but it's still a lot of fun. I was a big fan of the music as well, it's an interesting score that panders quite a lot to MCU music of old, but that's not a bad thing, it really gets you pumped.

Now, I could say a whole lot more, but it's hard to without spoiling anything. I'm planning a spoiler review for the film after seeing it a second time, so look out for that. But to sum it up, Avengers Infinity War is a pretty stellar film, there is a whole lot to get out of it and it goes to places you won't expect at all. And next up for the MCU, Ant Man and the Wasp. 

Wait, what?

4/5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...