My Top 5 Marvel Cinematic Universe Movies

06:28


With the release of Avengers Infinity War next week, (Wow! It's getting close!) I thought I'd put together a blog looking back at some of the MCU's best movies. Well the best films in my opinion, of  course these are my favourites so if your favourite isn't on the list... sorry. Either way, do enjoy the read and enjoy the release of Infinity War next week, and look out for my review!


5) Captain America: The First Avenger
I know what you're thinking: 'No Winter Soilder? No Civil War?' The reason these two aren't on the list and this one is is because I felt like The First Avenger is a classic in MCU history. It's WWII setting, it's cheesy villain and origin story for Steve Rogers are all so... comic book like. Of course they're all based on comics but this felt so much like a comic book film and didn't take itself seriously like the others. Like how Tim Burton's Batman was so much like it's comic run, I feel the same with this. Plus the 'Star Spangled Man' song is incredibly catchy. Can't count the times I've listened to that one.


4) Thor Ragnarok
This may seem pretty biased, but Taika Waititi is one of my favourite directors of all time, and his inclusion into the MCU directing a Thor film was probably one of the best thing to ever happen to the character. Thor needed a different touch to it due to the last two films being... lacklustre. The comedy, the characters, the tone - was very different, yet refreshing. I'm glad Marvel are letting directors put their spin on things more, because I feel as though Thor Ragnarok did a very good job at giving the MCU some fresh new films to it's roster.


3) Spider-Man: Homecoming
I would have never expected a Spider-Man film to be in this list, let alone Homecoming. I actually really really like this film. When I saw the first trailers I expected it to be a pretty generic Spider-Man film. But upon seeing it, I loved it. Repeat viewings have really helped too. Tom Holland is fantastic and was a great pick for Peter Parker, and the John Hughes vibes I got from the film made it really interesting. As well as Michael Keaton's excellent villain in the Vulture and a story that wasn't the same generic thing Marvel do again and again, (big lasers in the sky, etc) this is definitely one to watch if you haven't. As fun as Marvel could ever be.


2) The Avengers
The big one. This film was a milestone for the superhero genre. The biggest crossover in film history no doubt, when Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and the Hulk came together to fight the evil Loki and his army in New York. It's plot was more or less very basic but at the same time for a milestone as such as this that was fine. Giving attention to these characters, their banter and relationships with one-another are what made this film for me. Incredibly funny too, Joss Whedon did a great job of putting together a great group of characters, some very different and some very similar into a movie that will no doubt be not just the most iconic Marvel film ever, but possibly one of the famous and greatest movies to be released in this millennia. No? Well, time will tell.


1) Guardians of the Galaxy
In 2014, James Gunn released what I believe to be Marvel's best movie into the MCU. If you haven't read my blog on the film you should as I go into a lot more detail, but Guardians of the Galaxy defied my expectations. Being such a big fan of the comic books, I was delighted to hear Marvel were doing a Guardians film. I was so excited for this, and as soon as I saw it I must have seen it a few more times in the cinema, I loved it that much. I have to thank Gunn for taking the source material and making such a funny, charismatic and quirky Sci-Fi superhero film that now everyone loves. I can't wait for them to have their appearance in Infinity War. It's about time the Guardians made their mark alongside the Avengers.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I agree with all of these Sam just maybe in a different order, but love all of them the way you do.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...