The Superheroine.

09:29


Wonder Woman isn't that far off from being released now, and all I can think about this film is whether it'll be as bad as DC's last film, Suicide Squad. Yet, there's a lot of things that pull my interest towards the film, and the main element has to be the fact that the protagonist isn't a man in a suit of armour, a big green man, a man dressed as a bat or... a male racoon? Ok, you get the gist - this is a woman, taking on the main role of the film by herself, the superheroine.

There's something about that that pulls in my interest. If we're talking DCEU and MCU, DC is the first to have a solo female superhero film. And more power to them, Wonder Woman is one of the most interesting DC characters out there so no wonder? Of course, maybe they're trying to appeal to a different target market as well as the one they already have. At the end of the day though, this could be a real change for superhero movies. If this film does well, then we could see more and more come through. Marvel will release Brie Larson's Captain Marvel in 2019 which I'm super excited for, but then part of me ponders if they'll be done right.


When I say that, I mean all of the overly sexualised female characters we see in these films today are a degrading factor.  Harley Quinn is an obvious pick, but Suicide Squad's Enchantress was sexualised when there really was no need to. Having her kiss the face off of men to turn them into soldiers was silly, as well as an unnecessary revealing costume, and I think David Ayer really is to blame for that. He's going to be doing the Gotham City Sirens movie which I know he will over-sexualise massively. Rumour has it he's going to be casting Megan Fox as Poison Ivy, and I reckon it's due to sex appeal, not her talent, because we've all seen the Transformers films haven't we? Bleh.

On the other hand, my favourite Marvel Netflix show Jessica Jones has a wonderfully played female superhero who defies these stereotypes. Once under the control of Kilgrave (David Tennant) Jones (Krysten Ritter) becomes a tough, hard thinking PI. She's got tons of superpowers but what makes her different to the other super heroines is that she has great individuality and a lot of character. She's very admirable and played very well by Ritter, and I definitely recommend watching this right away. It's an amazing show.

On the other hand maybe there haven't been many female superheroes because of the terrible past... you'll know what I mean when I say that Elektra, Catwoman and Supergirl are all examples of terrible and poorly made flicks. The characters are given skimpy outfits and some awful scripts that don't help make a good name for themselves in the slightest. Having said all this, some of the greatest women in these films are often not even super at all. Pepper Potts, Peggy Carter, Lois Lane... there are plenty of them who are just great characters on their own. They don't need superpowers to be interesting, they've just got a lot of heart and independence. Sure they're the love interests but that doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer. It'll be interesting to see the role reversal with Chris Pine's Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman.

Will these films become a more common occurrence after Wonder Woman, even if the film is bad? Undoubtedly! DC have plans for Joss Whedon's Batgirl movie, and as I said, Captain Marvel is shaping up to be a big one. I only hope that we get some more original ideas and good characters rather than having these talented actresses being made to basically sell sex intertwined with these movies. Wonder Woman looks like it is doing the right things so far, and I'm excited, and I'm even more excited to see more of these great characters hit the big screen in their own solo films. But not Black Widow. I really hope that doesn't happen, I can't stand that character. I'm probably on my own on that one.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...