My Favourite Actresses

03:35


Now it's time for my 'High Five' of actresses. Over the last few years there have been so many talented women come out into the light and shown their amazing skills on film. Let's have a look at my picks shall we?

Honourable mentions: Anya Taylor Joy, Michelle Pfeiffer, Freema Agyeman, Sheryl Lee, Ellen Page, Brie Larson, Zoe Saldana, Lena Headey, Evan Rachel Wood, Carrie Fisher, Thandie Newton.

5) Amy Adams (Arrival, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Nocturnal Animals, American Hustle)

Everytime I come up with an idea for a film, I always think, 'who should play the lead female character?' Always Amy Adams. She's everywhere, and no wonder. She's the next Leo, being denied the Oscar win time and time again. Her roles in last year's Arrival and Nocturnal Animals really cemented her as one of my favourites, and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of her as she goes for the coveted Academy Award. And contrary to popular belief, she's a great Lois Lane too.

4) Uma Thurman (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Batman and Robin)

Forgetting about that disastrous role as Poison Ivy in Batman and Robin for a few seconds, Thurman I believe is an incredibly underrated actress. We all love her role in Pulp Fiction as Mia Wallace but for me, her role as The Bride in the Kill Bill films define her as one of the most badass women in film, and I loved her in them. She took no crap and really gave the heroine an awesome name among so many male heroes in film. She's great, she's iconic, and I really want her to get some more roles. She's been missed for a long time.

3) Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Deathproof, 10 Cloverfield Lane'

Ramona Flowers! What's not to love about Winstead? Another underrated actress in my opinion, who needs a lot more roles! Of course I loved her performance in Scott Pilgrim and her chemistry with Michael Cera. Her role in 10 Cloverfield Lane is also a great one, which I implore all my readers to watch if you haven't. There's a fair few films I've not seen that include her, so I'll have to work my way into them. But as I say, she's impossible to dislike if you've seen her in a lead role. Very talented indeed.

2) Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones, Hanna, The Grand Budapest Hotel, How I Live Now)

My biggest celebrity crush ever. I fancy the pants off of her, this blogger can now admit, and I even almost went to Dublin to meet her at a Q&A she did. What I love about Ronan in particular is how great she plays different sorts of characters, and how far she's come since Atonement in which she was nominated for an Oscar, being one of the youngest people ever to be nominated for one at the time. Her role in The Lovely Bones is a deeply saddening one but at the same time a magnificent one, and my favourite performance of hers has to be her role in Hanna. I could write a whole blog on her, but I think that'd be creepy. Yeah. Definitely that.

1) Sigourney Weaver (Alien, Aliens, Ghostbusters, A Monster Calls, Avatar)

The bitch is back. Sigourney Weaver is one of the greatest, if not the greatest action heroes of all time. Her role as Ripley in the Alien films are iconic as hell and she's all kinds of amazing in them. Being the character audiences least expected to be the survivor/lead in the series, she really took off and has played some great roles since then. Her recent role in A Monster Calls almost had me in tears, a role which I think if the best of the year so far along with some others. I'm very excited for her role in the upcoming Marvel's Defenders series as the villain, and I think with her past work as well, she'd make a very interesting Doctor Who... that may be just me, but she's got the class and attitude to do it for sure.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...