The Upcoming Death of the Superhero

03:39




 Before seeing Logan this month, the last superhero film I saw was Doctor Strange, one which I was fairly excited for. I saw it back in October 2016, and I’ll admit, I wasn’t massively hyped when it came to the day of seeing it. So, I went in with low expectations. It was an off day for me, I’m normally so excited to see a comic book flick. Needless to say, I came out feeling happy with these expectations I had, because, contrary to popular opinion, I wasn’t a big fan of Doctor Strange. It was the same old Marvel/DC origin story and was so close to the first Iron Man it was insane. It was like Marvel copy and pasted everything. It wasn’t a bad movie by any means, I just was bored with it. And with absolute travesties such as Suicide Squad and X-Men: Apocalypse earlier on in the year being terrible experiences for me I have to ask myself: is the superhero genre dying?


No, not yet anyway. For many, it’s still well and truly alive. For me however, being that the genre has been my favorite for many years, 2017 hasn't exactly got me excited for this year’s line-up of Marvel and DC films. Granted, Logan was brilliant, check out my review to see my full opinion on it, but I will say that it didn't feel like a superhero movie, perhaps that’s why I enjoyed it so much. Now, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is the sequel to my favorite Marvel film, but I worry it won’t meet the standards of the first. With the track record of DC’s awful films (although I didn’t mind Batman vs Superman) Wonder Woman and Justice League don’t have me excited for them at all. Spider-Man: Homecoming looks ok, but just looks like a generic Spider-Man movie which we’ve seen at least five times. Although, Thor: Ragnarok does have me quite excited. It has an amazing director working on it, and an all-star cast including newcomers Cate Blanchett, Karl Urban and Jeff Goldblum (what a guy) as villains alongside Tom Hiddleston’s returning Loki. I’m a big Thor fan too, and his teaming up with Hulk in this should be awesome, but then I hear that Doctor Strange will play a big part in this too… and that turns me off it.



‘Shoehorning’ is a phrase I use a lot with these movies. Chucking in characters and storylines into films that are about, in this case, Thor, just so audiences will go see it because it has other characters in it annoys me. I came to see a Thor movie, sure Hulk is in this but I can take Hulk and Thor teaming up no problem, but throwing in Strange aswell? I know we haven’t seen this yet, and who knows, it could work - but for now thats the only thing that niggles me about this film. Edgar Wright left his passion project Ant-Man due to creative differences with Marvel, apparently due to Marvel’s shoehorning of Avengers references and the inclusion of Falcon in Peyton Reed’s Ant-Man. Wright allegedly wanted to make it stand on its own, but didn’t get it his way. I liked Reed’s film, but an Edgar Wright version I know for a fact would have been phenomenally better. That brings me to studio interference with superhero films, Warner Bros. in particular who walked all over director David Ayer with Suicide Squad and turned it into an absolute mess. With Ben Affleck leaving the directional job of the Batman solo film due to the studio (apparently) this gave Matt Reeves the chance to step in as director, which he has done, but was very hesitant at first, and talks between the studio and Reeves were cold. Did I also mention that The Flash is doomed since it has now lost three directors, two to creative differences. It’s getting an un-needed script rewrite from Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s original script, which would have been exceptional… but it seems that the studio want it their way, and maybe that’s why DC isn't doing too well. These directors must be getting offered a huge paycheck, yet leaving this paycheck for their own artistic integrity is very noble and inspiring.


Another thing that annoys me about the genre is Marvel and DC’s ever changing slate of films. I get that they announce them to create excitement, but it’s pointless when a few months down the line they cancel these ideas (such as Marvel with Inhumans, which is being made into a TV show now) and DC splitting Shazam up into a Black Adam movie as well, and of course announcing so many more films on top of their line-up. How are they going to fit them in? What if Wonder Woman does well, will they announce a sequel and push other films back or cancel them? My point is, they shouldn't make promises that they can’t keep. DC seem as though they are throwing shit at the wall and are seeing what sticks, in this case Harley Quinn, so of course we’re getting a Gotham City Sirens movie with the doormat David Ayer directing and the atrocious Megan Fox apparently going to be cast as Poison Ivy… if that happens DC, the whole world will see your incompetence. Your casting has been good this far at least, don’t screw it up.



And then with so many actors having contracts extended and this being brought into public domain, we know that certain characters won’t die in a certain film. Sebastian Stan has so many more films contracted for the Winter Solider, so we know he won’t die anytime soon. I want to go into these movies and expect something shocking, even if it is a death. Like, what was the point in killing Superman off in BvS if we know he’s getting another film and going to be in the Justice League? So he’s obviously coming back right? It just doesn’t work.


I’ve ended up ranting it seems. It’s a shame, because I really enjoy these movies, but I’m worried they’re turning into trash. Logan was a good start for the year and I’m hoping that this continues, but I won’t hold my expectations high at all. As Steven Spielberg says, ‘the superhero movie will go the way of the Western,’ and I’m starting to see that more and more. Give it until Marvel’s third phase ends, and I’m sure that’ll be it. Marvel better get casting their next Tony Stark for the revival of the genre in thirty years or so.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...