Male Sexism: It Absolutely Exists

04:08


Yes, I know, this is an entertainment blog, not a rant blog, (unless it's in the case of very terrible movies) but I felt like I should say something in favour of everybody's favourite King of the North, Kit Harington. Poor Kit has been getting a lot of hate recently by femenists because of a couple of comments he made about himself in 2016: 

"I like to think of myself as more than a head of hair or a set of looks. It's demeaning. Yes, in some ways you could argue I've been employed for a look I have. But there’s a sexism that happens towards men. There’s definitely a sexism in our industry that happens towards women, and there is towards men as well."

That's fair, right? If everyone is equal, isn't it fair that yes - male sexism is a thing. Of course it is. Now I know that sexism towards women is obviously a huge issue that still effects our society, more than it ever has done today and it is imperative that this is remembered, which Harington acknowledges. However, very recently, Harington apologised for these comments, saying this:

“I was wrong there, though, sexism against men is not something I should have really said. I think what I meant was, being objectified. At that time, I did feel objectified… I do think men can get objectified. I do feel I have been objectified in the past, sexually as well, in pieces that have been written about me… Has that made me feel uncomfortable in the past? Yes. Do I think my position is the same as a woman’s in society? No. They’re very different things, and I should have separated them. I was wrong.”

Sigh. No need to apologise at all Kit. I feel truly sorry for him. Kit never said women didn't face sexism, and should he really have separated it? Was there any need to? Whilst I understand he wants to clarify that objectifying and sexism are different and he should have explained this more carefully, objectifying does come under sexism, doesn't it? Of course it does. Women are objectified in all kinds of media and society, and I would argue that yes, it can be sexist, not all the time depending on the circumstances and context behind it, but yes absolutely. In terms of objectifying under male sexism, is Kit wrong to feel uncomfortable? If he feels that way, there is nothing wrong with that. This brings me to an article I found on this, wrote by an author who I can only presume is an over the top feminist, but I'll leave all the playground insults for now. Madison Medeiros didn't like Kit's comments at all, saying that 'he knows when to fess up to being wrong' and said 'hello, women are still paid less than men, while non-binary and trans folks are literally having to fight for basic human rights in the workplace.''

Come on now, when did Harington ever say that this wasn't the case? He talked about his own experiences of being objectified yet never denied the fact that women did not face these issues. So why are people getting so angry about it? Can a man not feel insecure with how people view him in terms of his sex? If we are all equal then surely men can face this aswell. This is such a contributing reason as to why mental health in men is so wide spread now. Those who feel this way, who are too afraid to speak out about these kinds of things over the fear of backlash, I truly feel sorry for. Not just in the entertainment industry, but everywhere. Male sexism absolutely exists, and it is truly horrible for someone to not get the chance to say something because of the ignorant and negative reception they may receive. I've read so many articles and heard from so many men how they have been domestically abused or even raped and have been laughed at or shunned as 'it isn't rape or abuse if it happens to a man.' It's disgusting, and I know this is very different to what Harington is getting at here, but it correlates. Men should be able to speak up about how they feel about these sorts of things, and as someone who has experienced abuse and has always been afraid to speak up about it because of these anxieties with people's reception, I believe now it has never been more important to make sure your voice is heard. 

No need to apologise Kit, no need at all.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...