The Comic Con.

08:33



I'm pretty open about being a geek, as I'm sure so many more people are. It's pretty normal to  take pride in geek culture now, and I've never seen a more devoted group of people like this than at comic conventions. We all know about them, the San Diego Comic Con being the biggest in the world, but I'm not that well off so I'll take the ones in my own country. They're the perfect events to meet people who are into the same stuff as you, buy rare merchandise, meet celebrities and of course, dress up in cosplay. A great day out for the kids too, a cheap Disneyland! What's not to love?

My first con was in my home city of York, set up by the convention company Unleashed. This was in August 2015, and I went as Jared Leto's Joker. And it was so brilliant! Me and my friends met some amazing people, and made new friends. We met Spencer Wilding, an actor who plays many big creatures and characters (Darth Vader, various Doctor Who monsters) and he was a delight to speak with. It was a small con, yet it was still fulfilling. I knew from that moment on that this would be a common thing for me, and I'd definitely take part in more.

And that I did. In May 2016, I attended MCM London, the biggest con in the UK. I went for three days, going as the Riddler, Gambit and then a last minute made Steampunk Deadshot. This one was huge. It was so much fun, we got to see a panel with Jesse Eisenberg who came down as a guest which was a treat. There were two big halls at the EXCEL centre, where it took place - and we had so much to do. By the last day it was same old same old, but the beauty was the fact we got to see new people in cosplay everyday and it was just a marvel. Of course, being in costume yourself presented you with a new experience everyday too. And I didn't stop there.


The next con was MCM Manchester in July that year, where me and my pals went as the Suicide Squad, me being Captain Boomerang. We went for the day and it was fantastic. We appeared in a music video, which I'll link below, made by the brilliant 86th Floor. We then went onto York's second comic con in August, and I continued by Joker trend by dressing as the Joker from Alan Moore's Killing Joke. I got some great compliments on my costume, and some great pictures!


That October we took on MCM London's second comic con of the year, where I dressed as Gotham's Oswald Cobblepot, Nathan Drake and then the Driver from 'Drive.' At this one I got to meet voice acting legends Nolan North (Uncharted, Assassins Creed) and Troy Baker (BioShock, The Last of Us) and they were so very much down to earth and really loved the atmosphere of meeting their fans and enjoying the con. We moved onto a comic con in Newcastle presented by Showmasters where I went as Negan, and ended a big year with that.

Then this year, me and Jacob went big in the first month or so. We took on MCM Midlands and Bradford Unleashed where I dressed as Booker DeWitt, and then just a couple of weeks ago we went to MCM Liverpool and we went as Rick and Morty. I'll be attending MCM London this May as Captain America, Scott Pilgrim and Dale Cooper, which I'm very much excited for.


So why do I keep going back? Because it's fun, and I couldn't be happier with them. It's like a little holiday, and spending time with people who like the same stuff and are of course, my closest friends, is the best part. Well, that and the dressing up, but that can be costly! I guess this blog has just been a description of the events I've attended and not much to it other than that - but that's because that is just my own experience. You really have to be there to appreciate them. They don't cost much to attend, and you don't have to dress up. You can enjoy the events, the company and the overall buzz that fandoms such as Marvel, Star Wars and Harry Potter offer you there. I'll be doing a review of cons from now on, because I feel it belongs on this blog just as well as my film stuff. But I implore you all to join in on the fun, there's something for everyone at a comic con.

Music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7wE6BW_rs&t=12s

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...