Making a Movie with no Budget

13:05


So, many of you know that I've been working very hard on my new short film Best Friend, which is why I've been so distracted and have been blogging less. However, that's now coming to a close as I'm now very close to the end of production of the film as you'll have noticed if you've seen my trailer. I've been asked a few times however, in regards to my films, how much they usually cost to make. The easy enough answer to that is they don't cost me much, to be honest I probably didn't spend more than £10 on Best Friend, and my other three films have been just as cheap. So how exactly do you make a film with little to no budget at all?

I know that so many filmmakers, in my position with no money or big enough status, raise money with crowdfunding websites such as Kickstarter, IndieGoGo etc. I did this once, with Task Force Arkham, which was probably my most expensive, and it didn't go well. I don't think I had the audience to really have something like a crowdfunding campaign to succeed, so it was problematic. Instead, I funded it off of my own back, as with my previous films. Popman was cheap as I used props from Halloweens from time ago, and the parts of costume I used were bought for probably around that £10 limit.  

My two Batman films were most costly, costume wise for myself I had a lot to buy, but many of the actors had their own stuff to use which would help fit the characters they were playing. Of course I didn't want to spend too much at all, as I really couldn't afford any of it. I was a student, working a part time job which was being used for bills and such. There was only so much I could do. But when it actually comes to making these movies with no real budget or money, it's quite easy. You could make a piece of work you'd be so proud of without spending a dime, I assure you.


When I was younger, I used to make movies on my phone. My old, terrible quality camera phone. Were they good? Obviously not. But for me, they were a stepping stone. The bigger picture here is that smart phones in particular are a brilliant substitute for a camera. You don't need a massive technical and expensive camera to make movies, as long as you have something that can record in the first place. I went from a phone camera, to a camera recorder and now my DSLR. Which is really more of a camera than a recorder, but it's an improvement from where I last was and the quality is amazing on it. The best part is I didn't spend a penny on it, it was a birthday present. If your birthday is coming up and you want to get into filming, all you need to do is ask for a cheap recorder, you can pick up ones for around £30 that are almost as good as a DSLR!

It doesn't cost a penny to write a script. But before you write said script, gather what you can. Think about where you want to film, what you want to film with and actually what you want to film. If you can't afford what you have in mind, don't write that script. Write something that works well with what you want to make. I've done that with Best Friend and it's turning out better than I expected. I think one of the best parts about filmmaking is doing it with your friends. If you know people who want to get just as stuck in as you do, bring them on board to help you, it won't cost you anything if you're in the same boat and you're just as ambitious as one another. 

Anything is possible, and with movies and film its even more so. It's not hard at all to make something even so small and minimal that will cost you nothing but will give you a sense of achievement. My old Sixth Form film assignments were my step ladder into my film life today and I made them with friends and not a single penny. It just shows you really what you can accomplish. Now you know why I couldn't afford a Batmobile for my films!




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...