The Reality Behind Reality TV

10:00


There I was thinking of what would be a good topic for this week's blog, when all I see on Twitter and Facebook are people sounding off about ITV's Love Island. After hearing reports of drones flying over the island and seeing directors bossing the 'cast' I guess you could say around, it got me thinking. So many reality shows in the last few years have been exposed of being scripted, fake and all lies. But people still seem to enjoy them even knowing this... so why are they still so successful? And should we even call them reality shows?

I used to be a fan of these shows when I was a kid. I've grown out of them of course, but looking back at them I think I get why I liked them. The idea that these were real people living in the same world and reality you were made it... realistic. Well yeah, evidently Sam, but there was something about that which made it so exciting. They were massively entertaining. Now I shun these shows because of how they've been exposed. Remember when Olly Murs made that blunder on X-Factor a couple of years ago when he read out the person to leave's name before the voting lines were closed? This show's popularity has been decreasing for years anyway, but this was the first hit for the genre of TV. To know that the money you were paying to cast a vote had been a waste because the bosses already had a game plan? Aint that a kick in the head.


Then the UK Big Brother made an embarrassing fall when during one of their live shows, the contestants went to bed, but before the show cut, it went on as the lights came on and Big Brother directed them all basically telling them they did a great job to which they all left, presumably through the Diary room doors. I think its hilarious that shows like this are getting exposed for their lies. If you can't stick to the integrity of the genre you belong too, then what's the point at all? At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Because even with this, people still watch these shows. They know they're scripted and fake, but it gets them talking, it gets them excited, and it's fun. I won't lie, watching some of these shows are fun. Fake, but they can be real funny at times I'll admit.

If these shows are a work of fiction, then fair enough right? People like them, and the only reason these shows continue is because their audiences make them the money they need to survive. Most of them have run their course, sure. X-Factor and Big Brother are two examples of this, but something like Love Island that is a rebooted show does work quite well. It's something new, and it's doing massively well. I've seen a lot of people arguing that this is indeed real... but after experiencing a single episode of it myself, I cringed at how bad the acting and scripting was, for the sheer fact you could tell it was fake as ever. It's painful.


Then it brings me to shows like Geordie Shore and The Only Way Is Essex. People think that these shows are real, and I don't know how at all. Essex is plainly fake just from the way it is shot, and the horrible acting from its stars. People surely can't believe camera crews follow around these people every minute of every day and capture these incredibly badly performed conversations and interactions. It's so awkward to watch. 

It feels like I'm telling people who watch these that they're idiots, but that's not what I'm getting at - because you all know they're fake and if you enjoy them, more power to you. I don't mean to tell you what you can or can't watch, what I'm trying to get at is how these shows aren't reality at all, and sometimes its important to know. It's all for the cameras and to bait people, but they know that, and you know that. But they keep on going for the sheer fact they're more popular than any other genre of TV. Whether you believe them or not, they'll keep on going because you'll keep viewing them. And there's nothing wrong with that, but when shows like the X-Factor steal money from your cast vote and basically make their own decisions instead, then that's when it's time to address that maybe these shows really don't deserve the popularity they get.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...