Game Of Thrones Season 6 is Overrated

01:42



I can hear the screams of agony of the fans who are reading this wanting me to quit blogging because I probably don't know the first thing about Film and TV, or in this case just HBO's Game Of Thrones. How about I explain myself before judgment comes hmm? So as Season 7 is around the corner from us, and everyone is excited as ever, I'm a little hasty about it. It's not that I'm not excited, I was just underwhelmed with Season 6, so I'm not that entirely pressed for the new season as I would be to other shows lets say. The problem I have with Game Of Thrones, and only recently due to the last season, is that people see it as the greatest thing on the planet, and the best season of the show. Really? It was the worst season of the show for me, and here's why.

Get your trigger hats on, because you're about to hate me. The first problem with Season 6 was the drop in writing quality. Having read the books, the fact that they rushed to catch up with the books at the end of Season 5 allowed HBO to craft their own continuation without having to rely on the source material. And with less input from George RR Martin this time round, I felt as though the writing just didn't hit the same notes of previous seasons. Season 4, my favourite season, had some of the most incredible writing and dialogue I've seen on television. All the others were great too, but 6 just didn't hit me as the others did. Some haven't noticed it, and that's fine - but it's where the rest of the problems come into play that backs up what I'm trying to say here.


Season 6 suffers with a lot of filler. And I mean a lot. Filler is the worst thing a TV show can have, and my problem in particular was the fact they could have utilised so much of this time with parts that would benefit the story more. Tyrion and Varys just bored me this season. Tyrion is my favourite character by far but it bored me having to see him rule Meereen and make all these decisions, talk to another red woman and this and that... it was just boring. It didn't feel like it was going anywhere either, and maybe it will but at this point it looks just forgotten about. I know they had to have these two in here somewhere but it just got on my nerves. There was so much back and forth with the High Sparrow plotline in Kings Landing that annoyed me too. Of course we saw a satisfying end to that in the final but it just felt like they were putting in filler to keep us going until that episode, because they had nothing else clever to write. Shame.

Then there is the predictability. I mean you'd expect less predictable points in this season since it tailored away from the books, but wow. Bringing Jon Snow back was expected from the very moment he died for me, which seemed obvious enough, but it felt cheap. If Jon had been killed there and then, without the need to bring him back I'd have been impressed that the show had the balls to kill off it's central character. I mean they've done this before right? But of course they didn't, meaning that if he dies in the future it won't have the same effect. And don't get me started on 'The Battle of the Bastards.'


This episode was impressive, I won't deny that. Visually, it was incredible to watch. The choreography and cinematography were the best parts of this episode, but where it falls again is in predictability. It was fairly obvious (spoilers alert) that Rickon would be killed, that Sansa And Littlefinger would come to the rescue, that Jon and Ramsey would have a scrap and Jon would win, and of course Sansa having Ramsey eaten alive by his own dogs. I called the whole thing, and it made it less enjoyable. I know some people won't have seen it that way but it just didn't sit right for me. I wish we had more interaction between Jon and Ramsey too, I know Ramsey did a lot to Jon and his family but I didn't believe Jon's payback to him. I have to mention that this episode would have been better if they didn't cut back and fourth between this and Meereen. It honestly put me off the battle, as I was engrossed of course but I was thrown off whenever they'd just cut back to Danarys talking to Theon randomly. With that note there were a lot of time skips too.

Look, it's not all bad. 'The Door' was an incredible and heart-wrenching episode that hurt me in a  way I didn't think could after hearing spoilers before watching it. 'The Winds Of Winter' opened and closed with some of the best moments and sequences we've ever seen in this show. I loved seeing the Hound return, with a guest appearance from Ian McShane in the same episode. The best performance came from Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark, who I loved seeing return. He did a great job in this show and was one of the stand out actors for sure. So look, it's not all bad. I still enjoyed myself, but it didn't hit the quality the previous seasons did. Maybe it'll get better in Season 7, and you won't have to hate me for having an opinion. Phew, feels good to get that off my chest. I better had build myself a wall to protect me from the barrage of hate that's to come!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Game of Thrones. season eight has begun, and the level of fan theorycrafting is higher than ever. ... The Frog's prediction that every one of Cersei's kids will die has come authentic. ... 5. Tyrion Lannister is absolutely a Targaryen. A picture of Game of Thrones.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...