Video Games: A new kind of Cinema.

09:45


Just the other day, I finished my first play through of Until Dawn, a decision making horror game where you must keep a group of eight teenagers alive until the end of the game, if you lose them all - you start over. It plays with the Butterfly Effect idea that one decision can impact the rest of the game, making it even more interesting and ambiguous. In my head, I liked this and thought how it could be done in a movie, and my only reasoning for thinking that was because the game was deeply cinematic, using real life actors playing the characters, using various horror movie tropes and looking beautifully film like.

And thinking on it now, it just doesn't seem right the way Hollywood are pumping out film adaptations of games. We had Assassins Creed which came out in January which was what everyone expected: horribly executed. With various adaptations such as Prince of Persia, Need for Speed and Hitman being awful, you'd think Hollywood would learn their lesson. But no, because an Uncharted movie is being made. And I hate that idea.

                                

The Uncharted series is one of the best game series I've ever played, with captivating chracters and some amazing tales - not to mention fantastic gameplay. But what I liked most of all were the actors such as Nolan North and Troy Baker bringing these characters to life, brilliantly charismatic and admirable. So why so we need a suggested Mark Wahlberg playing Nathan Drake in a film nobody wants? I'd be more willing if Nolan North played the part, but even still Uncharted is cinematic already, I feel like I'm playing a movie.

Could it be that games are becoming a new way to experience cinema? I think that that is the case. Until Dawn and the Telltale games are perfect examples of storytelling - and even open like TV shows with their 'previously on' intros. The one I have to point out in particular however has to be the BioShock series, my favourite game series of all time. Ken Levine's amazing narratives and careful story planning make these games as cinematic as they could possibly be. The worlds of Rapture and Columbia look just as real as a CGI city in a big summer blockbuster movie. The characters are wonderful and just like a movie you really love, you wanna play them over and over as you watch a film the same.

There's been talks of a BioShock movie in the works for a long time, but I just don't think its nesacery. Part of me wants one for the visual side but I know it won't work. If you can believe it I had some high hopes for Assassins Creed, but ultimately don't think it worked as a film. With a game you can achieve so much more, so what are filmmakers doing? I get that it'll make a lot of money, especially for a bog standard car movie, throwing the name Need For Speed in will sell well - but you can't expect people to be sold every time when all these films are notorious for being bad. It ruins the games a bit too, or at least when I went back to play Creed, I could still feel the bad taste in my mouth. 

So Hollywood, stay away. Games are cinematic experiences in their own right. They do good at being  their own thing, telling their own stories, creating their own charming and wonderful characters and look and play visually stunning. I think video game reviews could become a thing on this blog, since for me they are very movie like. In the meantime, I recommend these games, if you want a playable movie with all I described above, then look no further. I hear Assassins Creed is heading to Netflix now... yikes.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...