My Favourite Directors

06:31


So for my first 'High Five' has to be for my favourite directors. I'm a director myself, and if there is one thing that draws me to a film, it's a director which I usually take notice in first. These are the guys who helm the films we know and love, and it's just as much them we have to thank than anyone else on a film! I've got quite a lot to choose from, and as you can see I've got quite the list of  directors I have to mention. Anyhow, let's get this show on the road. Hopefully this segment will go well, let me know if you have any suggestions for lists you want me to do! 

Honorable mentions: James Gunn, Taika Waititi, Martin Scorsese, Spike Jonze, Stanley Kubrick, Ben Wheatley, Shane Black, Coen Brothers, Frances Ford Coppola, Mel Brooks.

5) David Lynch (Dune, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks, The Elephant Man)



A great way to start this list. It was almost Stanley Kubrick who was to take Lynch's place, however I firmly believe that Lynch deserves a spot. After watching Twins Peaks recently and really falling for it, I have to thank Lynch for his amazing writing and direction of some of the most incredible scenes in television history. Not to mention some of his bizarre experimental films like Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, that really define this guy and his directing style. The best part is he's incredible to listen to in interviews. He's not the guy you'd expect him to be, especially when you compare him to the films he makes.

4) Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner, The Martian, Thelma and Louise)



A Sci-Fi genius? Yeah, I'd say so. Having created two of my favourite films of all time, Blade Runner and Alien, this guy deserves all the praise he can get. Coming from the good old UK, it's sound having a big name like Scott representing my country, but this isn't about patriotism - Scott is an incredible filmmaker. Creating vast and beautiful worlds seem to be what he does best - and creating one of the most horrifying yet whimsical films ever with Alien really laid he groundwork for what Sci-Fi and Horror is today. A master in his own right.

3) Wes Anderson (Moonrise Kingdom, Fantastic Mr Fox, The Grand Budapest Hotel)



Who doesn't love a Wes Anderson film? His vast array of quirks included in his filmmaking - to his hilarious scripts and interesting storytelling techniques give him a top place. He's the one who really adds something different to filmmaking - it's as if we can really see inside his mind. His films are unmatched and a real inspiration to me in terms of comedy, and I'm so excited for his new film Isle of Dogs, as his last animated film was Fantastic Mr Fox which is undeniably one of my favourite films ever. You can really tell it's a Wes Anderson film when you go in not knowing a thing about it. And that's great.

2) Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill, Django Unchained)



Yeah yeah, I know. A generic choice. But what places Tarantino as my second favourite is the fact he inspired me to step into directing and writing. I love his storytelling - his dialogue is of course very famous and very desirable, and is something I try to incorporate into my writing. He's awesome at what he does - he takes different things about films he loves, and mixes them into his own creation, something that I'm guilty for too. If this guy isn't on your list I really have no idea why. Probably the most influential Hollywood filmmaker ever.

1) Edgar Wright (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, The Worlds End, Scott Pilgrim vs The World)



When people ask me who my favourite director is they never expect me to say Edgar Wright. Some of the other directors on this list do things better or different than Wright but for me, he is one of the smartest filmmakers alive, if not the smartest. His careful craft in comedy, (British comedy, the best of course) is fantastic - if you've ever watched any of his films you'll find yourself picking up new things every time you rematch it, and Scott Pilgrim is the film that really inspired my film 'Popman.' I like colour, I like comedy, I like cleverness, and I love great characters. I'm not saying any other filmmaker is incapable of doing this, but what Wright does is special, and I feel like it's so unique to anything I've seen. I'm writing an article for an e-magazine at my University on him, which I'm very excited about, and I'm even more excited for his upcoming film Baby Driver. I honestly hope this guy never stops making films. Oh yeah, he's British too.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Published Work

Examining Edgar

For me, comedy films these days have really lost their way. Whether that’s down to actors, bad scripts or, in general, unfunniness, the...